To clean and protect the hull of your kayak with wax, you will need the following materials:
- Soft bristle brush or sponge
- Mild soap or detergent
- Kayak wax
- Clean, dry cloths
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to clean and wax your kayak hull:
- Begin by rinsing off any dirt or debris from the hull of your kayak using a hose or bucket of water.
- Next, mix a small amount of mild soap or detergent with water and use a soft bristle brush or sponge to scrub the hull of your kayak. Be sure to pay extra attention to any areas that are particularly dirty or have algae or barnacles growing on them.
- Once you have thoroughly scrubbed the hull, rinse it off with clean water to remove any soap residue.
- Allow the kayak to dry completely. This is important because the wax will not adhere properly to a wet surface.
- Once the kayak is dry, apply a thin layer of kayak wax to the hull using a clean, dry cloth. Be sure to apply the wax evenly and in a circular motion to ensure that it covers the entire surface of the hull.
- Allow the wax to dry for at least an hour before buffing it out with a clean, dry cloth.
- Repeat the process as needed to maintain the protection of the hull.
By regularly cleaning and waxing the hull of your kayak, you can help to prevent the build-up of dirt, algae, and other contaminants that can damage the surface of your kayak and reduce its performance. In addition, waxing your kayak can also help to improve its appearance and make it easier to clean in the future.